Monday, May 10, 2010

A Day in the Capital

I arrived in the capital of India, New Delhi, yesterday.  The moment I stepped off the plane I was able to confirm what everyone had warned me, Delhi is really hot in the summer!  It's over 100 during the day with bright sunshine and mid 70s at night.  Nonetheless, I braved the heat and did some sightseeing today.

The first place I went was right across the street from my hotel, an 18th century observatory called Jantar Mantar.  The centerpiece is a huge sundial which is accurate to 1/2 a second!
There's also a huge structure which is used to track the zodiac signs so that the horoscope for newborn children can be determined.
Finally there is a smaller international sundial which is less accurate than the giant one but gives the time in India, London, and Japan. 
By the way, the huge curved building in the background is my hotel. 

The next place I tried to go was the Red Fort.  Unfortunately, the Red Fort and many other tourist places are closed on Mondays.  I did get a couple pictures from a distance.

I then went to Humayun's tomb which was built in 1565. 
The tomb was built by the Emperor Humayun's grieving widow.  It is the final resting place of the Emperor and his children.

My last stop for the day was the India Gate, a memorial built for the Indian soldiers killed in WWI.

1 comment:

Eric said...

Good to see you are enjoying yourself. All looks pretty interesting. Glad to see you survived your trekking.